The original Cotter Dam was built in 1912 with a capacity of four gigalitres. After several years of severe drought in the ACT, the Dam had remained unused. The new enlarged dam increased the holding capacity to 78 gigalitres, a 20-fold increase. Water from the dam is pumped to the nearby Stromlo Water treatment plant and the water flows to several reservoirs in Canberra, serving the city of Canberra and neighbouring areas.
The new 80-metre high dam was constructed of roller compacted concrete (RCC), and is the highest dam of its type in Australia.
Our team developed Quality Guidelines for the RCC production and placement, established new levels in safety management and championed the world-first use of a concrete paving machine for RCC placement.