The completed project will increase capacity on the Botany Rail Line from 20 train movements a day to 45 train movements a day by 2030. The project will increase capacity on the Botany Line and wider Metropolitan Freight Network, with one train able to move around the same number of containers as 54 trucks. This will encourage a shift in freight from road to rail, helping to reduce truck movements and associated traffic congestion and support continued economic growth.
- Track duplication – constructing a new track within the rail corridor for three kilometres.
- Track realignment and upgrading – moving track sideways to make room for the new track.
- New crossovers – constructing new crossovers to allow trains options to move between tracks.
- Bridge works – constructing new rail bridges at Mill Stream, Southern Cross Drive, O’Riordan Street and Robey Street
- Embankment/retaining structures – constructing new embankment and retaining structures.
- Ancillary work including bi-directional signalling upgrades, drainage work and protecting/relocating utilities.